Moving to a new home is an exciting time. However, it can also be a bit stressful. There’s a lot to think about, from packing all your belongings to settling into your new place. One of the most important things you can do to ease the transition is to plan ahead.
You can reduce the stress and anxiety associated with moving by planning your move and setting some achievable goals. Even if things don’t go exactly according to plan, knowing that you have a solid plan can give you the confidence you need to move forward with your life.
The Moving Checklist
If you’re planning a move, be sure to take the time to plan ahead. It’ll make the whole process a lot smoother and less daunting. Here’s a quick checklist to guide you through moving time:
Stage 1: On Your Mark…
- Make your inventory. This will help you check and verify everything you own and get the first idea of how you will organize it.
- Donate unwanted items. You may have some stuff you don’t need or use anymore. Donating is always a great idea to leave them behind and move on to the next phase in your life.
- Collect moving supplies. Start to pile up boxes, newspaper, tape, markers, and everything you will need when packing arrives.
- Notify you will change your address. Avoid mail or bank issues by notifying your new address, so nothing gets mixed up.
- Investigate moving companies near you. Do your research about local movers providing these services early enough so you get to confirm arrangements before moving day.
Stage 2: Get Set…
- Remember to be off work on moving day. Make sure you notify H.R. that you will be moving beforehand in the next few weeks so you get that day off.
- Address any home repairs. Identifying home repairs before you leave your old home is essential so it’s easier to rent or sell.
- Start packing things you don’t use that often. Start by putting away your Christmas decorations or books, items you don’t use regularly. Then pack room by room to make the process faster. (don’t forget to label and color code!)
- Box everything up. You should put everything that goes with you in a box.
- Clean your home. You can either clean yourself or hire a company to do the job. You should do this as a common courtesy for the new people moving in.
- Check your furniture. Check if your furniture has any scratches before the moving company starts loading. This would give you an idea if they got any other scratches during the moving process.
- Put your valuable jewelry, cash, and other high-value items in a safe place. A lockbox can ensure your valuable stuff is in one place, and it’s not hard to find once you’re settled.
Stage 3: GO!
- Make sure everything is in a box: Verify you put everything where it should be.
- Remove all pictures and wall decorations and wrap them up.
- Double-check that everything is labeled and marked.
- Choose the loading order (which boxes leave first and last to be loaded).
- Check each room to verify anything is being left behind.
- Get to your new home’s location before movers so you can direct them on where items should be placed.
We Are Your Go-To Residential Moving Company in Texas
Moving is a complicated process that requires a lot of planning and coordination. Professional movers can help take the stress out of moving by handling all the heavy lifting and logistics. We at Brazos Movers are one of the top moving companies in Texas and can help make your move easy and stress-free.
We offer various services, including local and long-distance moves, packing and unpacking services, and storage options. Whether you’re moving across town or state, we have you covered. So if you’re looking for a hassle-free move, contact us at Brazos Movers today.